Tuxedo Stan Needs Your Help! Council Votes Tomorrow

Home  »  Tuxedo Stan Needs Your Help!
May 13, 2013 7 Comments ›› Hugh
Please help!

Please help!


Halifax Regional Municipality will be holding an important vote tomorrow.

They will be deciding whether or not to grant $40,000.00 to the SPCA to help with the costs of upgrading the Burnside shelter. The SPCA is building a surgery suite so they can offer low cost spays and neuters to low income families and rescue groups. This would be a one-time investment that would have long-lasting benefits.

Unfortunately, city staff is recommending against this grant. They want council to delay the decision while they review the municipality’s granting policies. This would stall the process until at least September! This means another large batch of unwanted kittens will be born this spring and summer only to starve and/or freeze to death next winter. UNACCEPTABLE!

Stan needs your help! Please take a minute to email or phone your councillor to ask them to support “Alternative # 2” during tomorrow’s council meeting:

Regional Council could proceed in advance of the Grant Program review and amend the Community Grants Program to permit a one-time grant in the amount of $40,000.00 to the NSSPCA, a registered charitable organization, for infrastructure improvements to its shelter to facilitate a spay/neuter clinic.


You can read the full report HERE.

You can find your councillor’s contact information HERE.

See if your councillor signed Tuxedo Stan’s Pledge of Compassion and Action HERE.

If you have the time, please consider attending tomorrow afternoon’s council meeting – 1 p.m. at City Hall, 1841 Argyle St in Halifax (beside the Grand Parade Square).



  1. sherry neima says:

    This MUST go through, we MUST help the helpless, It is not a matter of should we, we MUST…. Let’s not prolong this – we MUST build the surgical suite and have as many cats fixed and start being responsible human beings and begin eliminating homeless cats in HRM… Did I mention WE MUST?

  2. Kathleen says:

    I wish I could help, but I don’t live locally. Best of luck!

  3. kim says:

    I will be there…

  4. Debbie says:

    Done, my man … such a need and a delay now will mean further delays in their promise

  5. Carolyn says:

    Wish I could help. I would but I live in Florida. Best of luck praying they vote to do it.

  6. Hornacek says:

    I contacted Tim Outhit (Bedford) – he says he plans to support it.

  7. Nicole m says:

    I have emailed brad john’s to request he support alternative 2. Let’s hope he does.

Leave a Reply